Coping with Injury



I still haven't recovered from my injury and am now beyond frustrated. I am so tempted to just throw caution to the wind and go for a light jog, but I know that that will set me back even further. I am so desperate to get back to full fitness that at my last physio appointment  I asked for even more exercises and was given a theraband to start doing some resistance work. I do my exercises diligently because I need to feel that I'm helping myself to get better.

I've had to start watching my weight so that I don't gain weight due to my more sedentary lifestyle. This mainly means cutting out all alcohol, drinking herbal tea so that I stay well-hydrated and skipping the rare treat I usually allow myself. So far it's working.

In the meantime I have no races planned and I'm having to learn to take things one day at a time. I have been doing quite a lot of reading though, all running-related. These are all books I've been wanting to read for a while so I thought I'd get it out of the way before I started my summer reading.



Go Faster Food by Kate Percy and The New Rules of Marathon and Half-Marathon Nutrition by Matt Fitzgerald both opened my eyes as to how I really should be eating when I'm running. My 'marathoner' husband has totally altered his diet after reading these books. Go Faster Food has really tasty recipes that give a guide as to whether they're good for endurance, recovery, pre-race, etc. The Gnocchi with Mushroom sauce was amazing, a bit like a hug in a bowl. I think I'll be using this book  a lot in the future.

Matt Fitzgerald's book taught me so much about how the body works during long-distance running and the important part nutrition plays in endurance. I think I have a long way to go before I'm back to training for a half-marathon but I can already change my diet a little. The idea that the body can have an optimum racing weight really blew my mind. Maybe that's why my 10k time is 10 minutes slower than it was 15 years ago.

Paula Radcliffe's How to Run is my husband's running bible. It's gotten him round a few marathons and I wanted to see how Paula's training plans compared to the Micoach ones. All I can say is that Paula is a hard task master but her training plans really produce the results. I realised, too, that I've really been neglecting my core, which  my physio has also commented on. It's definitely something I can already work on now. I don't think I'll be doing all of Paula's core exercises at the moment but I'll do a few to get the ball rolling.

Lastly, and because I love a good running book I've just started Keep on Running: The Highs and Lows of a Marathon Addict by Phil Hewitt. I'm a few pages in and I've already had a smile on my face.

What do you do when you can't run? I'd love if you'd let me know.

Clementine.





Comments

Popular Posts