I've been on a bit of a pumpkin binge lately and as a result decided to enjoy some pumpkin soup and a particularly dreary day. Again I opted for some roasted pumpkin for sweetness, added some sweet potato for the same reason and then popped in a bit of red lentils to bulk it up a bit. We loved the results and ate it with some warmed naan bread.
2 sweet potatoes, cubed
500ml roasted pumpkin, pureed
140g red lentils
1 tsp cumin seeds, roasted
1/4 tsp crushed chilli flakes
1tbsp olive oil
1 litre chicken stock
4 tbsp natural yoghurt
1 tsp paprika
1. Heat olive oil in a thick bottomed pot and add sweet potatoes, cumin seeds, chilli flakes and lentils.
2. Add chicken stock and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
3. Add pumpkin puree and season with salt and pepper.
4. Puree soup with a stick blender until smooth.
5. Ladle into bowls and garnish with a tbsp of natural yoghurt and a sprinkling of paprika.