Search This Blog

Friday, 30 January 2015

Life: The Books that I Re-read Every Year

I love curling up with a book and escaping into another world or reading till the early hours of the morning when I'm engrossed in a book that I just cannot put down. There are a few books that I love so much, that I read very year. These are books that I first read at seminal points in my life, or which shaped my thinking into adulthood. I love that books are like good friends, our relationship stays as strong despite an absence.



The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
If I was a writer, I'd want to write a book like this. Barbara Kingsolver weaves this intricate tale of an American missionary family in the Belgian Congo in the late 1950s. The book is told from the children's perspectives which makes it more powerful in my opinion. It taught me that sometimes you can't force something to happen, and that the lessons and trials of childhood can have a lasting impact.

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
I can't explain my love of Pride and Prejudice. I read this book when I really want to relax because it reads itself. I've come to love the characters so much and have even ventured down the path of writing (very bad) fanfiction. Very embarrassing.

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
I love how this book tells the tale of a love story albeit one of nearly parallel lives. Somehow the author manages to keep this tale of time travel cohesive. I find parts of the book  achingly sad; the final scene will stay with you for a very long time.

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
I first read this book in high school and it was one of the books that I stayed up till 4am and read in a single day. It felt fitting to read it as a teenager when we often love somebody despite our own best interests.  I still find parts of this story scary. Cathy at the window always gives me the heebies!

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
Elizabeth Gilbert's memoir telling the story of her own journey of self-discovery in three countries, inspired me to stop and take time to smell the roses. I'm still getting to know myself, perhaps it'll take a lifetime to do so and that's ok.

Clementine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All Images Copyright Clementine Buttercup 2016