Search This Blog

Friday, 17 April 2015

Life: What I've Been Reading in 2015 Part 1

The combination of an addiction to Pride and Prejudice fanfiction and a lack of time has meant that I've read fewer and fewer books over the past few years. I'm keen to change that this year and have been trying to squeeze in a bit of reading whenever I can, especially before bed or when the kids are at extramural classes. So far so good. I've certainly noticed that eschewing technology before bedtime helps me to sleep a bit better at night. 



I loved this charming, irreverent and very funny faux diary complete with illustrations, pretend flower pressing and letters stuck into it. It reminded me of the scrapbooks and diaries of my teenage years. A lovely gift for Pride and Prejudice fans and one I'll return to year after year.

2015 has thus far been a year of self-reflection and growth and I felt compelled to return to this wonderful book by Elizabeth Gilbert which explores her own journey of self-discovery. I identify with her reflections on meditation, admire her bravery and as an introvert am intrigued to gain some insight into the mind of an extrovert.

I've told all my runner friends to read this wonderfully funny book about running as a novice. After my second re-read, I decided that instead of signing up for the first race I could, I'd first get into the swing of running for pure enjoyment. I think that the pressure I placed myself under contributed to my running injuries so I've decided to approach the sport with a more positive mindset.

This lovely memoir about life in Senegal is written by a friend, Simon Fenton, who runs the blog, The Little Baobab (mentioned here). Simon has lived in Senegal for the past few years and runs a guest house in the country. He is a truly intrepid traveller, a fantastic storyteller and a lovely guy. Read the review in the Guardian here.

The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton
I visited the Rijks Museum in Amsterdam a few years ago and spent nearly an hour peering into the glass case which housed Petronella Oortman's cabinet house, a intricately detailed doll's house. This doll's house is what The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton is based on. I loved this book. The descriptions are as beautiful as Petronella Oortman's cabinet house. I was hooked from the very first page and couldn't put this book down. The author manages to build the tension and suspense till the very last page.

I'd love to hear your book recommendations, so do drop me a line if you know of any must-reads!

Clementine.





No comments:

Post a Comment

All Images Copyright Clementine Buttercup 2016