Food: Pumpkin Fritters

Occasionally I'll get a hankering for something that really reminds me of my childhood. I'm also keen to introduce the littlies to some of the traditions from my childhood and one of these was pumpkin fritters in the autumn.

Halloween pumpkin doesn't seem to have a very strong pumpkinny flavour, so for my recipe, I decided to roast the pumpkin flesh from our jack o' lantern. This gave the pumpkin a lovely sweetness which really adds to the flavour of the fritter.

South African -Style Pumpkin Fritters


Ingredients:
2 cups all purpose flour (I used Dove Farm gluten-free plain flour)
 pinch salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp caster sugar
1 egg, beaten
30ml melted butter, slightly cooled
200ml milk
250ml roasted pumpkin, pureed
vegetable oil for shallow frying
cinnamon sugar for dusting

Method:
1. Sift flour, salt, sugar and baking powder into a large bowl.
2. Make a well in the centre and egg.
3. Slowly incorporate butter and milk.
4. Whisk until no lumps remain.
5. Add pumpkin puree and mix thoroughly.
6. Allow mixture to rest in a fridge for 30 mins.
7. Fry tablespoon amounts of fritter mixture in hot vegetable oil until crispy. Approximately 2 minutes on each side.
8. Allow to drain on kitchen towel.
9. Dust both sides with cinnamon sugar and serve immediately.

Enjoy!

Clementine.

Comments

Popular Posts