Food: Couscous Salad with Falafel and Pomegranate
I love a salad for lunch as they're usually very fast to make, give me free reign to experiment with flavours and also contribute to my 5-a-day tally. Couscous is a great vehicle for Middle Eastern flavours. Here I've tarted it up with lemon, coriander, mint, olives and pomegranate. The falafel, which I made from a kit, provides a bit of substance and the avocado provides a lovely creaminess.
falafel kit (check the couscous or pulse section of your supermarket)
1 cup of couscous
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp coriander
2 tbsp parsley
2 tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 handful olives, roughly chopped
2 tbsp pomegranate seeds
1 tbsp mint, roughly chopped
1 avocado, chopped
1 tbsp sour cream
1. Make falafel according to packet instructions and leave to cool.
2. Prepare couscous by placing in a bowl and adding just enough water to cover. Leave for 10 minutes.
3. Add juice of 2 lemons, olive oil, coriander, parsley, tomatoes, olives and pomegranate seeds. Mix well.
4. Divide couscous between two bowls.
5. Top with avocado and falafel.
6. Drizzle with sour cream and top with mint.