Aubergine Rarebit

On a recent visit to North Wales, I picked up some delicious Welsh Ale mustard and chutney at a delicatessen and couldn't get enough of the stuff.  The ale imparts a lovely sweetness which really enhanced the flavour. Upon my return I was happy to find an online stockist which pleased me greatly. I've been eating a version of Welsh Rarebit since I was tiny and decided to experiment on the theme for a more substantial lunch-time meal, though my Aubergine Rarebit would be great for brunch too.

Aubergine Rarebit

Aubergine with Ale Rarebit and Poached Egg


  • Ingredients
    30g unsalted butter
    30g plain flour (I used Dove Farm Gluten-Free)
    300ml milk
    30g parmesan
    70g gruyere cheese
    1 egg yolk
    2 tbsp  Welsh Ale Mustard (or 1 tbsp grain mustard and 1tbsp dark ale)
    1 aubergine
    flour for dusting
    olive oil
    2 eggs for poaching
    handful of parsley, chopped
    4 slices of bread (I used Gluten-Free bread), toasted lightly

    Method
    1. For the cheese sauce: Melt butter in a saucepan. Stir in flour and allow to cook for a minute. Add milk, stirring continuously until no lumps remain. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add cheese and stir. Take off heat and allow to cool. Whisk in an egg yolk and stir in the mustard. Set aside.

    2. Slice  aubergine lengthwise in 1cm  slices. Dust with flour and fry each side in olive oil until golden brown. Drain on kitchen paper.

    3. Poach two eggs.

    4. Spread cheese mixture on 4 slices of bread and place under grill until golden and bubbling.

    5. Assemble by dividing the aubergine slice between the bread and placing a poached egg on top. 

    6. Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.

    7. Serves 2.

    Clementine.





Comments

Popular Posts