My favourite tea-time treat is a slice of lemon drizzle cake with a cup of herbal tea. I've been determined to come up with a gluten-free recipe and after a bit of trial and error, I've come up with a light and moist version that I've already made twice this week after my family devoured the first one. This recipe produces an extremely lemony lemon drizzle, just the way I like it!
Gluten-Free Lemon Drizzle Cake
175g butter, softened
175g caster sugar, sifted
zest of one lemon
2 large eggs
100g gluten-free self-raising flour
75g ground almonds
50g demerara sugar + 1/2 tsp demerara sugar for dusting
juice of 2 lemons
1. Cream the butter, lemon zest and caster sugar with an electric mixer.
2. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well between adding each egg.
3. Fold in flour and ground almonds.
4. Add milk and mix lightly until combined.
5. Make in a 1 lb loaf tin in a pre-heated oven at 180C for approximately 45 minutes (or until a skewer comes out clean). Allow the cake to cool in the tin for about 10 minutes.
6. For the drizzle: Dissolve sugar in lemon juice in a saucepan over a low heat.
7. Poke the cake all over with a skewer and then pout over the syrup. Sprinkle over the 1/2 tsp of demerara sugar.