I enjoy eating lots of fruit and veg in my diet and find that my meals become a lot more imaginative when I incorporate as many vegetables as I can into every meal. Breakfast in our house usually involves oats and toast with fruit thrown over as a topping but over the weekend, when I prefer something a bit more savoury. Shakshuka has become a favourite. The wonderfully warming Moroccan spices complement the eggs really well. Perfect for breakfast or brunch with friends!
Shakshuka - Eggs in a Spicy Tomato Stew
2 red onions, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp olive oil
2 carrots, finely diced
2 tins chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp harissa (or sundried tomato paste)
1 tsp ras el hanout
1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp red wine vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp coriander
1. Cook onions and garlic in olive oil at low heat for 10 minutes or until soft.
2. Add carrots and cook for a further 5 minutes.
3. Add chopped tomatoes, harissa, ras el hanout and sweet smoked paprika and cook for 30 minutes.
4. Season with red wine vinegar, salt and pepper and sugar and cook for 5 minutes.
5. Dig 4 wells and break eggs into it - poach eggs in the tomato sauce for 15 minutes or until cooked.
You might need to finish them off for about 5 minutes under grill.
6. Divide into 2 servings and serve with chopped coriander leaves.