Pear Tarte Tatin Gluten-Free

I don't make dessert too often at home unless we've having people round or I've got a bit of fruit to use up. This Pear Tarte Tatin, however, has had me buying fruit just so that I can make this. Apple is traditional for tarte tatin, and you can certainly use apple here instead if you prefer, but I find that the pear also caramelises beautifully and works very well with the fragrant spices. 

I always serve this with ice-cream, though it also tastes good the next day with a cup of tea. I think the gluten-free pastry, however, requires that it be warmed in an rather than a microwave to prevent the base becoming chewy with reheating.

Pear Tarte Tatin Gluten-Free







Ingredients
6 pears, peeled, cored and quartered
75g butter
75g caster sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
3 cardamon pods, peeled and crushed
1 roll of gluten-free puff pastry (I used Jus-Rol)
1 tbsp almond flakes, lightly toasted

Method
1. Place the butter, cinnamon, crushed cardamon and caster sugar in a cast-iron frying pan at a high heat (Mine was 20cm in diameter). Don't stir but allow it come to the boil and caramelise to a slightly golden colour.

2. Add the pears and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat.

3. Cover completely with a disc of gluten-free puff pastry. Prick the case with a fork a few times to allow the steam to escape.

4. Place in a pre-heated oven, 200C, and bake for 20 mins or until the pastry is golden.

5. Turn out onto a plate and scatter over with the flaked almonds.

6. Serve warm.

Enjoy!



Clem.


Comments

Popular Posts