Raisin and Caraway Spelt Loaf

I've been in a bit of a nostalgic mood this week and started thinking of the food I missed from my childhood. Some things are easy to recreate, like the wonderful Gouda cheese toasties my gran would make me when I was feeling poorly, others require a bit more jiggery-pokery and kitchen experimentation. 

The weather has taken a decided turn which has fund me back in the kitchen and baking. This Raisin and Caraway Spelt Loaf is the closest I've come to recreating the raisin loaf I'd eat every Sunday morning as a child. The little grocer around the corner only stocked these, freshly baked, on Sunday mornings and to have a slice, warm from the oven and smothered with butter was always a treat. 

Raisin and Caraway Spelt Loaf




Ingredients
1/2 cup seedless raisins
100ml warm water
150ml warm milk
500g white spelt flour
1 tsp quick yeast
50g maple sugar (caster sugar can be substituted)
1 tbsp sunflower oil
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp caraway seed, toasted and coarsely ground
1 egg beaten

Glaze:
50ml caster sugar
50ml hot water

Method
1. Soak raisins in warm water for 10 mins.

2. Combine flour, yeast, caraway seed, salt, sugar, milk, sunflower oil, egg and the raisins in their soaking water.

3. Knead for 10 mins.

4. Prove, covered in clingfilm or a damp cloth for 1hr in a warm place.

5. Knead for 5 minutes and then form into a loaf and place in to a 1lb loaf tin. Prove for a further 25 mins.

6. Bake in a preheated oven at 200C for 30-35 min until golden brown on top.

7. Combine the ingredients for the glaze and brush on the finished loaf.

8.  Enjoy sliced and buttered.

C.

Comments

Popular Posts